Historical Home Plaque Awarded

 

Recently, Graeme and Carol Dewar of 95 Fairmount Avenue were presented the Chatham Historical Society Historical Home Plaque under the Dani McCulloch Adopt-A-House program.

Launched in 2010, the Adopt-A-House program originated with the enthusiasm of the late Dani McCulloch. The program was conceived to document the history of borough homes and to give special recognition to Chatham homes that are 100 years or older.

Through the Adopt-A-House program, Helen Ann Rosenfeld researched the Dewar’s house.

The Heald House, named after the original owners John H. and Sarah J. Heald, is remarkably well preserved. The home was built about 1875 by Civil War veteran Israel D. Lum and is a stunning example of the Gothic Revival style of architecture.  

Commonly referred to as Carpenter’s Gothic in America, carpenters and builders adapted pointed arches, steep gables and towers of European architecture to traditional American construction. With the invention of a scroll saw available to the masses, machine made architectural details allowed builders to enhance homes with fancy woodwork to replicate the details of the great stone structures of England. America had an abundance of timber and it was a natural transition to adapt the Gothic style to wood.

Beautiful craftsmanship and interesting mill work are the hallmarks of this gorgeous home. Although it is shorn of some of its original detailing, much remains including batten cladding in the gables, detailed eave brackets, bulls-eye decorations and chamfered posts.

The Society invites anyone who would like to research the history of their home to click here. Residents will receive an Adopt-a-House packet full of useful information to aid in the research. When the Plaque Committee and the Adopt-a-House Committee have reviewed the property, the homeowner will have the opportunity to obtain a beautiful historical plaque to display on their home. Through this program, the Society hopes to encourage residents to help preserve the architecture and history of Chatham Borough.

Photo: Homeowners Graeme and Carol Dewar accept the plaque from Amy Crandall, Vice President of the Society.

Donate

News & Events

Post date: April 11, 2017
 
 
In France during the Great War, five Chatham Borough men lost their lives. In 1919, their sacrifice was honored by the planting of five red oak trees on the grounds of Public School #1, now Chatham Borough Hall. Sadly none remain.

Next Events:

Check here for other upcoming events pertaining to the Chatham Historical Society and Chatham's history