Mrs. Jeanette Collins with her baby daughter in front of their new home at 52 North Hillside Avenue in early spring of 1911. The view is looking towards Weston Avenue.
The Chatham Historical Society maintains an extensive photo collection. Many of the photos have been published in our books. Please enjoy viewing this gallery that includes some samples of the full collection.52 North Hillside Avenue, 1911
The Chatham Historical Society maintains an extensive photo collection. Many of the photos have been published in our books. Please enjoy viewing this gallery that includes some samples of the full collection.Ice-skating
Ice-skating was a popular winter sport. In Ten on a Toboggan and other Tales (page 35) Catherine Grover shares her memories of skating on the freshet; when she would come home from school at lunch time and skate until it was time to return to school.
The Chatham Historical Society maintains an extensive photo collection. Many of the photos have been published in our books. Please enjoy viewing this gallery that includes some samples of the full collection.Main Street, circa 1900
A view looking south down Summit Avenue, at the corner of Main Street and Summit Avenue.
William McDougall's store and home, built in 1837, was on the east end of Main St., near where the Library stands today. The building was demolished in 1947.
The swimming pool off Passaic Avenue presumably was built at the site of the old stable that serviced the Fairview House hotel on Main Street. The building is the background is the structure that become the theater for Chatham Community Players.
The Stanley dam in 1870 at the south end of Chatham.
Swimming at a Chatham dam
Summer visitors to Chatham loved the waterfalls near the dams for fishing, boating and swimming.
Bridge to Main Street, 1874
In 1874 the bridge that would carry travelers to Chatham across the Passaic River was nearing completion.
Elevating the rail tracks, 1916
The old station (right foreground) would be replaced by the new, elevated station (left, background). The raising of the tracks began in 1914.
George Shepard Page factory
George Shepard Page bought the Bonnell mills in the southeast part of town and converted them to a felt roofing-paper factory.
Kelley's store on Main Street
This store was at the corner of Passaic Ave. (formerly Budd's Lane) and Main Street. The upper floor was a town meeting room and social center. About 1875 it housed the town library.
This building is listed on both the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. It was built originally as the manse for the Reverend Joseph Meeker Ogden of the Presbyterian Church in 1848.
Captain William Day house
This house was the homestead of William Day, circa 1780. It remained a 100 acre farmstead into the 20th century and used as a residence until the late 1990s.
Fairview House circa 1870
At the site of the current Library of the Chathams on Main Street, was once the magnificent Fairview House. Up to 150 guests could be accommodated in the grand hotel. It was demolished in 1920.
Chatham Hotel circa 1800
Probably a stagecoach stop along the Morris and Essex Turnpike (Main Street), the Chatham Hotel served travelers and drivers who herded pigs and sheep to city markets. During the 1920s it was Chatham's speakeasy.
At the southwest corner of Main Street and Washington Avenue once stood a building that housed the Woman's Club of Chatham. Members of the club helped the World War efforts, nominated the first woman to the school board, and held summer "porch readings" to raise money for books for the library that they also helped to develop. The building was demolished in 2000.
News & Events
Check here for other upcoming events pertaining to the Chatham Historical Society and Chatham's history